Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Industrial side of the Outback

It’s early morning in the Pilbara, the sun has just come up and there is a slightly cool breeze. The temperature is already near 75 degrees. I made it to Port Hedland. It’s beautiful here, and just like I thought it would be…flat, hot, and lots of red dirt – though, there is a bit more vegetation than I expected. The town is built on a massive delta…if you can call it a town. It’s main purpose for existing is as a port for exporting iron ore mined in Western Australia. It’s almost purely industrial with over 50% of the population working as fly-in fly-out workers and staying in working camps. The day we flew up, there was an article in the paper rating the different camps. I am staying in the worst Port Hedland camp. Haha. Figures. It sounded nice…Beachfront Village…but really it’s a refurbished detention center for immigration asylum seekers. There is a huge gate all around the compound complete with guard towers and video cameras. 90% of the population in the camp is male. The rooms are dorm-style with only two bathrooms on each floor…one male, and one female. Some genius put me in the room directly across from the men’s shower/toilet. Did I mention that the walls were really thin?
If you forget the wire mesh on the windows, the dorm smell, the thin walls…it’s not so bad. All meals are provided in the mess hall where they serve breakfast and dinner from 4 – 8 (am and pm)…and a salad/sandwich bar for a packed lunch. The food’s not bad, but after a week and a half it’s getting a little repetitive.
Did I mention it’s a man-camp? I’ve been hit on more times than I can count…and once by a gal. Another story for another time.
The last couple weeks have been a bit of a blur. I’m glad to be leaving…and heading towards the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment