Monday, March 29, 2010

March 29, 2010 Transitions

I arrived in Perth this afternoon after a 5 or 6 hour flight and went straight to the office. Thankfully it wasn’t 40 degrees C! It was more like 26, which is about 80 degrees F – and no humidity (or little, it’s hard for me to tell after 6 weeks in Bris)! The area is beautiful and seems to suit me more than Brisbane (so far)…mainly because it’s not tropical and wet, I think. It’s more like Nevada – except with trees. No more humidity…and crystal BLUE sky!
The office seems a bit like a maze and they don’t have anywhere for me to sit permanently yet, but everyone seems very nice – and I already have a project sitting on my desk in the morning. It’s a potential drill job in Fremantle next week, if we can get the permits in time.
I’m staying at a lovely hotel at the fringe of the city, walking distance from the office if I hoof it a ways. It’s an updated old "boutique" hotel with an old wooden elevator and a grand staircase. There’s a pub and a nice dining room on the main floor which have been very convenient and tasty. I think I’ll be enjoying staying here (until the end of the week when I move to another apartment leased long-term by Golder, I think).
As for life in general, I finally hit my wall last week Thursday. It’s not unusual for me to have a bit of a “blues” session after a certain period of long-term change like this. The homesickness bug bit HARD. Nothing really sparked it, maybe having another slow work week, maybe the continued unsettled schedule/living arrangement, maybe feeling like I’m never wearing the right clothing/always being underdressed with frizzy hair, maybe others having their own friends around or having their loved ones visit…who knows! All in all, I've just been feeling a bit blue. No big deal, but it is kind of a drag at the moment. As before, it will pass...and it provides me a great opportunity to tell those of you who are my friends and family how much I miss and love you. I also want to send a big thank you to Jen and Shah at the Brisbane office for keeping me company and keeping me laughing!
One more piece of news before I sign off. I found out on Sunday morning that my sweet ‘lil Cabby had to be put down quite suddenly on Friday night. I will miss his happy and unashamedly exuberant ‘welcome home’ greeting. He was the softest (literally), cutest, full of personality, easy-going dog I’ve ever seen. It’s rather embarrassing, I have been randomly breaking into tears (luckily nowhere too public yet) – and it’s only a dog for goodness sake! I can just tell that I’m going to be one of those old ladies who cry easily – happy or sad. Oh, well. I don’t care, life is painful sometimes and can be worthy of a good honest cry.

1 comment:

  1. Jill!
    So sorry to hear about Cabby.
    I remember when I was living in Italy for several months, the homesickness would come and go in between all of the excitement (I spent so much on phonecards!). But the memories you will have when you look back on this time will be awesome.
    I've enjoyed this peek into your life as you take on Australia. I pray that your adventure continues to be good.
    Take care,
    Laura Martens

    ReplyDelete