Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3, 2010 Happy Easter!


I find myself in Augusta, Western Australia sitting here on a worn out couch in a sweet little YHA hostel while the Italian Job plays in the background (on one of only 3 channels the tv gets).

It turned out to be quite a challenge to get everything done on time, but here I am. I have a four day weekend because Australians get Friday and Monday off for Easter. So, I had to do some quick thinking and was lucky that there was still a bed available in the hostel that I’m staying. Prior to the weekend, I arrived on Monday and was given a job to set up and run…set up before the weekend to start the first day back! Yes, that’s right, 3 days…and I don’t even know all the laws yet. The poor people around me were pestered by questions repeatedly for three days. By the skin of my teeth and several late nights-and a really late night on Thursday, it is ready. I start drilling on Tuesday morning at 6:30am (!!! Holy Cow! That’s early!)

On Thursday, right after work, I moved to the Golder apartment that happens to be in the same building as the office. It’s on the “roof” floor – I like to call it the penthouse. :) There are three rooms and somehow I scored the master suite with my own bathroom (I think this is thanks to Kristy who is a fellow employee who is helping me get settled-she’s been awesome). The apartment opens up to the roof via sliding door and the view is amazing, the only problem is that there are other offices that look out on that same rooftop. I think this means that there will be no hot coffee or tea in my p.j.’s outside on the roof in the mornings… : ). I haven’t quite figured out the internet there and it’s a bit erie at night to be the only person in the only apartment in a 5 floor building. Also, it feels kind of like an office, windows don’t open, air conditioning turns on for only 2 hours at a time, no keys…only keycards. It does have a full kitchen! I can cook and eat healthy again! Finding the grocery store was another adventure all in itself and probably for another time, but it took me an hour driving around before I finally found one. Anyway, back to the weekend. Most people I talked to in the office recommended driving to the south for the weekend. I booked a car and a bed at the hostel. It was a beautiful drive down with a few random detours by my nutty GPS. The Karri trees are beautiful and stand out starkly in the cleared fields. There were sheep and wineries and very small towns along the way. The population is very light in any area outside Perth. The highway is narrow and feels like a random country road, but I like it, it makes it feel more adventurous. Today was my first day exploring the area. I made “friends” with some kids at breakfast (and promised a game of air hockey later that evening).


My first stop was Jewel Cave, a guided hour-long tour. BEAUTIFUL!! I just can’t get enough. Straws, stalactites, stalagmites, sparkling calcite crystals, the black nothingness when they turn out the lights, and the silence when no one makes a noise… From there I ran off to the lighthouse tour at Cape Luellin (sp?). The guide took us up the lighthouse and out on the top balcony. The view was really nice. After a quick lunch back at the hostel, I found a beach. Gorgeous, but weather was coming in and it was becoming cool and very windy. After freezing on the beach for a while I opted to stay in the wind-protected warmth of my car (door open) to read a book. Just as it was getting dark, the rain came. I played my promised game of air hockey after dinner, got into an awkward conversation with an old lecherous coot, and left to the tv room for some other company and to write this all. I’m seeing so many beautiful things. There are so many options that it’s hard to decide what to see next. The driving is coming almost easily now and the only thing I lack are good friends to explore with. Tomorrow depends on the weather; I may go for a drive, or the forests. I haven’t quite decided. I DO know that I will be taking plenty of pictures, so stay posted! HAPPY EASTER. Jesus loves us enough to go to the cross to be a mediator between us and God. His sacrifice covers sin. I thank God for that and am happy to celebrate the real reason for Easter. Love you all!...and come visit if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment